The 25 Weirdest Things About Your Body You'll Ever Learn. #8 Is Disgusting.
by Chelsea DeBaise for dose.com
If you want to see something awesome, a little scary and super mysterious, look no further than your very own body. The human body is crazy-- and after you read these facts, you'll appreciate just how incredible a thing it really is.
- Due to cartilage compression in your spine, you will be a whole 1 centimeter shorter when you go to sleep at night than when you woke up.
- Your red blood cells do an entire circuit of your body every 60 seconds.
- Your bladder can actually visibly grow when you feel like you have to pee.
- Most babies are actually blue-eyed at birth, and their lifelong eye color happens as a result of exposure to UV rays.
- Most residents of the Western Hemisphere will consume somewhere around 50 tons of food and 50,000 liters of liquid in their lifetime.
- It can take up to six months to grow a new nail or toenail back completely.
- On average, your eye muscles contract about 100,000 times a day.
- You will shed somewhere around 40 lbs. of skin over the course of your life.
- About 20% of your oxygen as well as your calorie intake go directly toward fueling your brain!
- There are 1 million filters in every kidney, and they clean about 1.3 liters of blood each minute and push out around 1.5 liters of urine every day.
- Of the 500,000 eggs that ovaries contain, about 400 get any real life creating opportunities.
- All people have their own unique smell-- except for twins!
- Your stomach creates cells faster than it destroys them-- that is why your stomach doesn't end up destroying itself.
- You produce about a pint of sweat daily, and it all comes from your half-a-million sweat glands.
- When we gather information and garner insight about our current surroundings, we get 90% of this information from our eyesight. Pretty visual creatures, we humans!
- Tickling yourself is close to impossible.
- Skin grafts for burn victims very often come from baby foreskin.
- Pound for pound your bones are a whole four times stronger than concrete.
- If you stretched out the skin of an adult male it would span about 20 feet.
- On average a person produces enough saliva in their lifetime to fill two swimming pools.
- We need our saliva to dissolve something before we can taste it.
- Men produce enough sperm on a daily basis to repopulate the earth in six months.
- The heat your body is capable of producing in half an hour could boil a gallon of water.
- If you stretched out all of the capillaries in your lungs tip to tip they would reach just about the distance from Atlanta to Los Angeles.
- A correlation has been found between people who dream often and people with a high IQ.