Cupping is not just for athletes. It's an old therapy used by many to relieve muscular and fascial tension brought on by stress, work and daily life.
Why Do You Get Marks or Skin Discoloration? Does It Hurt?
Stationary cupping, when the cups are left on the skin for a length of time, can leave rings and circles due to blood moving to the surface. This process can create some discomfort or pain as it creates a vacuum suctioning up the skin. The pressure influences the intensity level, however many describe the sensation as a slight pinch. Some marks can be darker than others, the darker the color the more effective that cupping point was for the client. Results are immediate and lasting, with the marks and discoloration fading in about a week. Despite any initial discomfort, many recipients describe cupping as relaxing and therapeutic. The pulling action engages the parasympathetic nervous system allowing, deep relaxation throughout body.
What Is Traditional Chinese FIRE Cupping?
Although there are several ways to facilitate stationary cupping therapy, fire cupping is most traditionally used. By quickly heating the inside of the cup with fire, suction is created when placed on the skin. Typically, 4 to 6 cups are used adhering to the skin for about 15 to 20 minutes. According to Acupuncture Today, "The negative pressure created by the suction stimulates the local acupuncture point, this increases the Qi and blood flow through the meridian to loosen up tight muscles, to relieve pain, and to detoxify and re-balance organ function."
Stationary cupping is most commonly used on the back, neck and shoulders.
- Deep tissue work and release without discomfort
- Moves stagnation and drains fluid
- Relieves inflammation
- Nervous system sedation
- Breaks up and expels congestion
- Stretches muscle and connective tissue
- Loosens adhesions
- Pulls blood supply to the skin
- Facilitates movement of the Qi/Chi and blood systematically and locally
- Strengthens the immune system by promoting the flow of lympatic fluid
- Treats excess heat conditions, fever, stress, depression and anxiety
- Cleans blood and lymph helping balance pH levels